Gutter guards and rain harvesting may be 2 terms you would not think of together. Did you know that rain harvesting with gutters guards is quite a simple technique which can be used to collect and store water from different sources when it rains? Rainwater is collected from rooftops and other surfaces before it flows down and disappears into the ground and soil. Over the years this technique has become more popular but, it has actually been around for years. Many people will look to promote water and energy conservation and with gutter guards and harvesting rain you can do just that!
Gutter Guards and Harvesting Rain
The practice of rain harvesting is most common in rural Australia. In these areas the water from the roof of houses is collected and stored in water tanks and/or dams. Any rain water that can be is captures and does not get lost by falling straight to the ground. Although this is common in the rural areas, it can also be collected in more modern cities just about anywhere. Your water storage tanks will determine the amount of water you can collect so if you have a large property, you will want a larger tank. This is something you will have to consider when you are purchasing your tank. While it rains, your tank will continue to store water until it is full.
So, what are the benefits of having gutter guards and harvesting rain?
1. The reliance on water storage dams is reduced which means you do not have to continue to build or expand dams. The water stored in your storage tanks can be used in cases of water outages and you can have total control over your water supply.
2. It may be possible to reduce the flow of storm water which helps to minimize the overflow of storm water drains within your neighbourhood therefore, preventing flooding. You can save the water and use it whenever it is required.
What do you do with harvested rainwater?
1. You may wish to use the rainwater to wash your vehicle or refill your swimming pool. You can also use it for indoor non-potable use in things like the toilet.
2. Collected rainwater can be used for irrigation in rural areas and can be used to water your garden or lawn in the built up cities of Australia.
3. If you ensure the water is properly disinfected and filtered, you can also use this water for potable purposes. (Potable water is drinkable water)
If you would like to learn more about how our gutter guards can help you with harvesting rain and collecting rainwater in your tanks, contact us at The Leaf Man Australia today.