Knowing how to Prepare Your Home For Bushfires is a vital skill no matter where you live.
Regardless of your decision to Leave Early or Stay and Defend, you still need to prepare your Home For Bushfires or ember attack.
Prepare Your Home For Bushfires
There are many reasons why you should Prepare Your Home For Bushfires.
- If You learn how to Prepare Your Home From Bushfires your Home is much more likely to survive.
- Even if your plan is to Leave Early, the more you prepare your home, the more likely it will be to survive bush fire or ember attack.
- A well prepared home is much easier for you and firefighters to defend.
- A well prepared home is less likely to put your neighbours’ homes at risk.
- A well prepared home will give you more protection if you choose defend your home and the bushfire threatens suddenly.
Some of the things you should do around your property to Prepare Your Home For Bushfires.
- Cut back any overhanging trees or shrubs and dispose of cuttings
- Check the condition of your roof and replace/repair any damage.
- Install Non-combustible fences to give your property extra protection from heat generated by a bushfire.
- Clean leaves from the roof, gutters and downpipes and fit quality metal gutter guards.
- Plant trees and shrubs that have a low oil content and are less likely to ignite if a bushfire threatens them.
- Store wood piles well away from the house and keep covered
- Keep garden mulch away from the house and keep grass short
- Ensure you have a hose which is long enough to reach every part of the home
- Remove and store any flammable items away from the house
- Install metal flywire or solid screens to the outside windows and doors
- Check the condition of external walls, cladding and seal any gaps
- Ensure you have home and contents insurance.
- In a bushfire many houses are destroyed through ember attack, not from the fire-front itself.
- Look for the places embers could start fires – on the roof, under the floor and around windows and doors – and take action to Prepare Your Home from Bushfires adequately.
For more tips on How You can Prepare Your Home From Bushfires Contact us.